Keyword Research and Analysis
Let’s first know more about different types of keywords. Basically there are 2 types of keywords.
- Single word keywords - Single word keywords, as the name suggest are simply your business related words. These are also called generic keywords. Single word keywords generally carry a large number of searches because of the different meanings, they can be interpreted to. E.g. searches for the word ‘Finance’ can show results about Finance colleges, companies providing financial assistance or may be some govt. financial plan web site. The bigger the scope of a keyword, the larger audience it covers. However bigger scope also implies more competition, that too among different categories.
- Multiple word keywords - Also referred to as key phrases provide more accurate results as they narrow the scope of search. Multiple word keywords have relatively less competition. Also multiple word keywords provide higher conversion rate than single word keywords. Users even type questions as search term often, to get exact results.
Factors affecting keyword effectiveness
- Scope - Scope of a keyword is big if it covers large online traffic. More the number of meanings, a keyword can be interpreted to, bigger is its scope.
- Competition - Competition for a keyword is among all web sites which want to rank in SERPs for that keyword. Keywords generally (not always) have big competition if its scope is big.
- Relevancy - Relevancy of a keyword is decided by its conversion rate. If it provides higher conversion rates, it’s more relevant.
Great keywords have average scope, least competition and great relevancy!
How to go about finding your keywords?
Now that you have a keyword list, try finding how popular they are. You can do that by using any of the keyword research tools available in the market. They tell you approximate number of searches performed for any keyword and also show similar results for variations. Using these tools, you get to know how competitive a keyword is in terms of ranking and many other keywords that you might have forgotten earlier. Given below is a list of tools that you can use for keyword research:
- Google Adword Keyword Tool
- Trellian Keyword Discovery Tool
- Seo Book Keyword Suggestion Tool
- Google suggest
- Google Insights
- Google Trends
Now that you have a list of keywords with their corresponding activity report, you are ready to make a final selection of keywords. We recommend maintaining a excel file for all keyword with their corresponding search volume, competition and expected conversion rate. Remember that you are looking for keywords with great conversion rates, higher traffic and least competition. Create a mix of both broad and targeted keywords. You'll need both to rank well. Broad terms are important because they describe what your web site does; however, it’s targeted terms which maximize conversions.
There is another term named KEI (Keyword Effectiveness Index), which is calculated by dividing total number of searches performed in a month by number of Google results shown for a keyword. Interestingly, a higher KEI does not necessarily indicate a good productive keyword however a bad KEI indicates a poor keyword. For this reason one might want to keep KEI as a parameter in the keyword research report.
Based on the parameters mentioned above, you come up with a final list of 20 keywords which exactly describe the subject and theme of your web site.
Now that you have a list of highly focused keywords, you may find some of the keywords already appear in the site content while some other does not. The step is to make sure that you add enough content to your web site for those new keywords. Keep the keyword density to a reasonable number. Also it’s advised to target 4-5 keywords per page. If you try to target more than that for a page, it dilutes the effect resulting in poor rankings. Keywords placement is weighted differently at different places throughout the web site. Apart from body of the page, keywords can be utilized in following ways:
- Title and Mata tags
- Images / File names
- ALT tag
- Anchor text /Navigational links
When you are done with all this, you are just ready to publish your web site on the Internet. Congratulations! You have successfully completed the keyword research phase. It’s important to constantly monitor your keywords and make changes accordingly. Doing so will make sure that your web site is always updated and you keep moving forward.
Serpslogic Keyword Research Service
Our keyword research packages start from $ 99.95 only!
Click here to order your keyword research report now!